At Monday night’s board meeting, I spoke and asked the board members to update parents and provide transparency on what actions are being taken to address the many age inappropriate books in our school’s libraries and classroom libraries. As it was not on the agenda, it was not addressed. I sent an email to each board member today requesting that this topic be added to the next board meeting’s agenda. The next scheduled board meetings are a “retreat” on December 3 and a regular meeting on December 13. Here is the email that I sent today:
I am writing on behalf of many parents who are requesting that you place on the next meeting’s agenda an item which will allow the administration to provide an update on the “book issue”- we are requesting to know the status of the policies and procedures and to know how this issue occurred in our district. By the time of the next board meeting, two months will have passed since “The Breakaways”, “Drama”, and “Gender Queer” (amongst other books) will have been brought to the administration and board’s attention. After I first wrote to Dr. Blaine, Dr. Craft and Lisa Stultz about “Gender Queer”, I spoke to Dr. Blaine who said the administration would be addressing this issue, and now I am requesting an update to be given to the public. Specifically, we would like to know:
1. When will the written policies be in place governing selection of library books?
2. What will those policies be?
3. What steps are being taken to inventory and remove age inappropriate books from our classroom libraries (which are not protected by the First Amendment as they are considered “curriculum”)?
4. Have principals and librarians received any directives from the administration?
5. Who is responsible for the decision to include “Gender Queer” on the summer reading list for at least 3 years?
6. Was “Gender Queer” taught in an English AP class for Spring Woods High School?
7. Was “Gender Queer” taught at any other schools/included in the school curricula?
As the Board is supposed to be the voice of the parent and taxpayer and provide oversight of the administration, we are requesting transparency and an opportunity for board members to ask difficult questions of the administration. Everyday, there are headlines from districts around our state and country where boards are issuing statements and providing answers to parents on this issue. We are requesting that our board do the same.
I encourage everyone reading that you also request updates and transparency from our board and administration. Our children are counting on us to speak up.
#Lawyermom #LNS #SBISD
Posted on 18 Nov 2021, 13:14 - Category: Facebook Blog